NYS was allotted funding, through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, to provide a one-time payment for the cost of diapers, the purchase of additional food, and the costs associated with relocation to victims of domestic violence through the Pandemic Emergency Assistance Fund (PEAF).
PEAF is available to families and individuals with an active Cash Assistance (CA, also known as Public Assistance) or SNAP case.
PEAF is administered by the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA).
Description of PEAF
PEAF will provide a one-time cash payment to eligible Cash Assistance (CA, also known as Public Assistance) or SNAP households for the cost of diapers and, if eligible, the purchase of additional food. OTDA will mail letters to eligible households informing them of the total amount of the payment and Administrative Review rights.
Payments for diapers were issued on February 12, 2022, and food payments will be issued on April 23, 2022. Payments will be encoded on an EBT card and are as follows:
- $140 per eligible child (under the age three) for diaper costs.
- $730 per eligible individual (55 and over) for food costs.
PEAF that is appropriated to assist victims and survivors of domestic violence will be suballocated to the Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence. OPDV will be utilizing their network of service providers to assist this population and distribute the funds to eligible households.
PEAF payments will not impact eligibility or benefit amount for CA, SNAP or HEAP.
Qualifying for PEAF
To be eligible for the cost of diaper payments the household must have:
- An active CA or SNAP case during the month of January 2022;
- A child under the age three; and
- A CA or SNAP case that has remained open on the date of issuance.
To be eligible for additional food costs the household must have:
- An active CA or SNAP case during the month of March 2022; and
- An older adult (age 55 or older) who is active on the case during the month of March of 2022 and includes at least one child, aged 17 or under, at any time during the month of March of 2022; and,
- The CA or SNAP case remains open on the date of issuance.
For more information go to https://otda.ny.gov/policy/directives/2022/LCM/22-LCM-01.pdf
Applying for PEAF
There is no application process. The state will identify cases and issue benefits as appropriate.