The Legal Aid Society
Access to Benefits (A2B) Helpline: 888-663-6880, open Monday through Friday from 10 am to 3 pm
A2B staff can assist NYC residents with employment and unemployment benefits matters, issues related to Medicaid/health law, SNAP, public assistance, disability, and other benefits and issues related to COVID-19.
Legal Services NYC
Legal Assistance Hotline: 917-661-4500, open Monday through Friday from 10 am to 4pm.
Provides assistance for individuals applying for SNAP and Cash Assistance, as well as assistance with rent arrears and utilities. Callers can provide their information over the phone, and staff assist individuals complete an application via AccessHRA. The program is focused on individuals without Internet access, although anyone can call and get help.
Provides a wide range of legal services, including housing, bankruptcy, children’s rights, employment, foreclosure, government benefits, immigration, taxes.
- Public Benefits
- Advanced Planning (Standby Guardianship, Power of Attorney, Healthcare Proxy, Wills)
- Consumer Debt (Debt Collection, Wage Garnishment)
- Employees’ Rights (Paid Leave, FMLA, Working Conditions)
- Housing (Eviction, Rent Arrears, Foreclosure, Mortgage Relief Options,)
- Unemployment Benefits
- Special Education issues (K-12)
- Stimulus Payment questions
Open Hands Legal Services
917-379-0705, open Monday through Friday 9:30am to 5:30pm. Leave name, phone number, and a brief message.
Offers tenant advice and limited legal representation in all boroughs, family law, employment, Social Security benefits, and immigration.
Urban Justice Center
- Safety Net Project: 646-923-8358, help with Public Assistance, SNAP, Fair Hearings for Public Assistance and SNAP, or CityFHEPS/FHEPS:
- Housing assistance with a legal issue in the Bronx or Brooklyn: 646-470-9704.
- Domestic Violence Project: 833-321-4DVP or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, for survivors of intimate partner abuse
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC)
Temporary COVID-19 intake hotlines for all New Yorkers — but prioritizing residents in Upper Manhattan and Southwest Bronx — to receive assistance on a variety of issues:
- Accessing benefits: 919-512-4469, Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Unemployment: 929-512-4476, Tuesday/Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Housing: 929-512-4565, Wednesdays from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Immigration: 929-512-4496, Mondays from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
844-862-7930 open Monday through Friday 9 am until 5 pm
Assistance for people with disabilities and older adults providing access to benefits, information about city and state changes, food, toiletries, peer support resources, and more.
Center for Independence of the Disabled
Information and assistance with application/recertification process and needed documentation.