The Legal Aid Society
Access to Benefits (A2B) Helpline: 888-663-6880, open Monday through Friday from 10 am to 3 pm
A2B staff can assist NYC residents with employment and unemployment benefits matters, issues related to Medicaid/health law, SNAP, public assistance, disability, and other benefits and issues related to COVID-19.
Legal Services NYC
Legal Assistance Hotline: 917-661-4500, open Monday through Friday from 10 am to 4pm.
Provides assistance for individuals who are denied NYS UI benefits.
- Advanced Planning (Standby Guardianship, Power of Attorney, Healthcare Proxy, Wills)
- Consumer Debt (Debt Collection, Wage Garnishment)
- Employees’ Rights (Paid Leave, FMLA, Working Conditions)
- Housing (Eviction, Rent Arrears, Foreclosure, Mortgage Relief Options,)
- Unemployment Benefits
- Public Benefits
- Special Education issues (K-12)
- Stimulus Payment questions
Volunteers of Legal Services (VOLS)
Unemployed Workers Project
Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Legal Services for Artists
Provides free or low-cost legal services.
NYS Unemployment and Paid Leave Legal Help Line
800-724-0490 × 5827
NYS Bar Association
Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Legal Services for Artists https://vlany.org/request-assistance
Provides free or low
- Information for free lancers: https://covid19freelanceartistresource.wordpress.com
- Freelancers, artists, gig-workers, and other independent contractors: https://www.landerfornyc.com/covid-relief-for-freelancers
Guidance for Jobseekers Impacted Due to COVID-19
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC)
Temporary COVID-19 intake hotlines for all New Yorkers — but prioritizing residents in Upper Manhattan and Southwest Bronx — to receive assistance on a variety of issues:
- Unemployment: 929-512-4476, Tuesday/Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Accessing benefits: 919-512-4469, Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Housing: 929-512-4565, Wednesdays from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Immigration: 929-512-4496, Mondays from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Center for Independence of the Disabled
Information and assistance with application/recertification process and needed documentation, including both regular Unemployment Insurance and Pandemic Unemployment Assistance.