HUD-Approved Housing Counseling Agencies
The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds housing counseling agencies that provide a full range of housing counseling services. These services include:
- Assisting persons who are unsheltered find transitional housing;
- Finding affordable rental housing;
- Financial literacy training to individuals and families;
- Assisting homebuyers in evaluating their readiness for a home purchase and navigating through the homebuying process;
- Foreclosure prevention counseling; and,
- Helping seniors determine whether a Federal Housing Administration’s Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) program or other reverse mortgage is advantageous to them.
In addition to providing counseling to homeowners and renters, HUD-approved housing counseling agencies support emergency preparedness and disaster recovery efforts.
There are over 100 HUD-approved housing counseling agencies across NYS. To locate a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, visit HUD’s online locator or call (800) 569-4287.