Updates and news about public benefits, housing programs and community resources
Home / Blog
Changes to the Cash Assistance Program
Published on November 5, 2022 by Leslie Bailey
The following changes to the Cash Assistance program were implemented on October 1, 2022:
- Elimination of the 185% Standard of Need Test and Federal Poverty Level Test. Countable income must be below the net income test or Standard of Need test, see https://bplc.cssny.org/benefit_tools/8 for the levels in NYC.
- Changes in earned income deductions:
- All households who have received CA for at least one of the immediately preceding four months, are entitled to an earned income disregard of 50% of their earned income. Previously it was only households with dependent children.
- A work expense deduction of $150 for each individual who is working. This was increased from $90.
- Note: For households who are eligible for both the 50% earned income disregard and the work expense deduction, the 50% will be applied first followed by the expense deduction.
- Changes in the resource limits
- Applicant households $2,500
- Applicant households with a member aged 60 and over $3,750
- All CA recipient households $10,000
- Application time frame - the time frame to determine eligibility will be 30 days for TANF and SNA applicants.
Benefits Plus Online users can go to https://bplc.cssny.org/pbm/cash-benefits/cash-assi... for additional details.